Monday, May 13, 2013

Friday 1st April 1853

Last night there was more rolling and pitching, crashes and noises than we have had since we set out. I tried in vain to rise and was obliged to content myself with a little breakfast in bed and a bit of bread with some brandy and water at midday. As the day advanced the violence of the gale abated and I managed to get up in time to get a little dinner at table. Towards evening I so far recovered after tea as to be able to play draughts with a fellow passenger and gain 5 games out of 7. I had also visited the deck but no land had been in sight since we had left Malta. Before retiring to bed I had an opportunity of seeing the phosphorescence of the waters which I formerly adverted to and had seen several times since... The wind had been changing today and the vessel was making good progress again.


The full journal will be published by Annet House Museum, Linlithgow in May. Waldie's journey to India will form a key feature of the museum's Waldie exhibition which will open to the public on 18 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment