Saturday, May 11, 2013

Thursday 31st March 1853


Yesterday evening’s fears respecting the weather were realised to the full. I rolled about in bed and passed a very uncomfortable night. On getting up I felt sick and puked, but managed to get dressed, take a little breakfast, and go on deck. The wind was very strong and right ahead, the ship pitching and rolling violently the sea frequently breaking over the deck. I remained up till after dinner but was then obliged to go to my cabin, being sick and finally got rid of my dinner as I had of other food that day. I had changed my berth the day before from one downstairs near the middle of the vessel to one in the saloon and thought I had changed for the better, but now found that though it was pleasanter, being better lighted, yet being nearer the stern there was much more motion. The gale had been increasing in violence all day and many of the passengers were confined to their cabins. The progress of the vessel was. I believe, only from 3 to 5 miles an hour, her usual rate being 10 to 12.

The full journal will be published by Annet House Museum, Linlithgow in May. Waldie's journey to India will form a key feature of the museum's Waldie exhibition which will open to the public on 18 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment